In some parts of the world you leave the resort to get a great meal, but often in the Riviera Maya region of Mexico it’s the opposite. Most of the region’s top chefs are working at the best luxury resorts. The resorts also have the facilities to turn a great meal into a true experience by making the most of their beachfront facilities and well-trained staffers.
One of the best examples on this popular Caribbean coast is Belmond Maroma Resort, which has a wide range of romantic dinner options and special dining experiences you can set up there. Since Maroma is a popular honeymoon and anniversary hotel, many couples opt to take advantage of the special private dinner options. You can dine right on the beach by candlelight, or have the observation tower to yourself with a view of the sea from above. Your own waiter will ensure everything is just right for your romantic evening together.
You can do something special on the other nights too though. Here are a few examples of regularly scheduled dining and drinking events you can join in by signing up.
– Noches de Cantina is a weekly dinner that offers a genuine taste of Mexico. A diverse menu of delicious antojitos and botanas include fideo seco (dry noodles with chipotle, avocado and fresh cheese) and cordero rostizado (roasted suckling lamb “Monterrey style‟), are served alongside Mexican craft beers, a range of tequilas, and mezcal. Live Mexican music adds to the traditional Cantina atmosphere.
– Under the guidance of the Executive Chef, the Thursday Chef Table offers a dining experience with insight. Inspired by the traditional ingredients of the region, the chef creates a complete six-course menu to be served privately at your table. He will explain the ingredients and their history, as well as recommending Mexican wine pairings, creating an unforgettable dining experience.
– Served at a communal table on the beach, the Al Fresco Seafood Night offers treats from the sea under the stars.
– At the K’aak BBQ Dinner, you can celebrate k’aak, the Mayan word for fire. This barbecue on the beach features the best steaks and the freshest seafood, served with a variety of salads, dressings and garnishes.
– Celebrate the splendor of Mayan culture in the heart of the jungle with the Pre-hispanic Dinner. Set in Belmond Maroma’s Aldea Maya area, this dinner highlights the region’s signature flavors with Pre-hispanic music and performers.
You can also develop your skills or your palate with lessons and experiences happening each week. You can join in a cooking class with the executive chef one of two times each week and learn to prepare some signature dishes back home. Learn more about Mexico’s most famous spirit at the weekly Tequila tasting. There you’ll sip some of the finest blanco, reposado and añejo options and learn more about the distillation and aging process. Or try some lesser-known Mexican agave spirits with the distillate tasting. Mezcal, Sotol, Raicilla and Bacanora are paired with ceviches and Oaxacan tlayudas.
There’s also a weekly wine tasting at El Sol Restaurant. The sommelier presents top Mexican wines from Maroma’s award-winning wine cellar, paired with tapas that enhance the flavors. Other choices include a cigars and cognac experience, as well as cocktail making lessons.
Follow this link for more on Belmond Maroma dining and claim your spot for any of these special activities when you make your reservation.
All photos courtesy of the resort. See our detailed review of Belmond Maroma Resort here.